Saturday 8 February 2014

Fencing Tip

Trev taught me this years ago. 
Whenever we check fence lines we take a nail with us. 
It's quick, easy, doesn't use materials other than the fence itself and even better. It works.

If you have two rolls of chook wire you want to combine you can quickly 'knit' them together.


Or, take one fence with a hole in it. 
Place a nail between two wires, one from each row of chook wire.
Spin the nail around 360 degrees 2 or 3 times.
Pull out the nail.


It's such an easy, simple trick, had to share it :-)






5 comments:

Patty@inStitches said...

Did this a lot when we had chickens. Couldn't find wire mesh wide enough to cover our large chicken run so bought two rolls and 'wove' it together. Worked like a charm and was still holding when we left the farm 15 years later. Suppose it's still standing?-)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe this post arrived when it did. I read it yesterday and then last night my husband comes in to tell me that there's a hole in the chook fence and we have escapees. I suggested using this trick and tonight, after feffing around yesterday, hubby tried it, using a trappy old bent nail to boot. Works a treat anf far easier than whichever other technique was being used. :D Thank you!

Den and Cath said...

Thanks for the great tip - I'm just about to create an outside area for the chooks as the current one they just fly over. Was wondering how we were going to bring two pieces together... now I have the answer

Anonymous said...

What an excellent idea! Even a stick would do to twist the wire... cheers for this, no more escapees or quoll invasions for us! :)

Unknown said...

Gosh I love learning something new and useful - if only I'd read this before I spent two hours reinforcing the chook fence on Monday!

Thanks for the great tip.

Madeleine