Saturday 1 December 2007

The Honey Drippers

Extracted the first lot of honey and it was fairly labour intensive. Would love an extractor, but can't justify the cost. However the next extraction, due this week should be better, this time I'll have my technique down pat. The taste of the unfiltered honey is exquisite and with all the local pollen in it I hope it assists with inoculation and my hayfever is 'organically' treated. As the bees have been on apple blossom for some time I like to think it tastes like it. Though I've never chewed on blossoms it has a really light sweet taste that's great in tea, in bread, on bread, on just about anything come to mention it.



Amazingly enough the average Australian hive manages 67kg of honey a year, with commercial beekeepers anywhere from 200kg to 250kg per hive. With 600,000 hives across Australia.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, this honey looks good.

Hope Trev's back is a little better now.

Jodi said...

The honey looks beautiful. I'm not allowed to have bees as the other half is paranoid with the two kids. I must try and find some bee people to learn from anyway!
I hope Trevor gets better soon. Your home is really starting to come together and he should be proud of himself at what he has achieved, but he should also take care of himself first. I hope the weather is treating you well down south! Happy Days

Lee said...

That honey looks sooooooooooo good.

Now I'm really hungry.

[searches pantry]

ah! Honey!

mmmmmmmm...

Julie H said...

What a thrill your first jar of honey. Sending prayers for Trev's healing.

Anonymous said...

Wow that honey looks very, very, luscious, it's a pity that the poor back isn't in such good shape. I'm sure that I'm speaking for a lot of other folk when I say "all the best Trev!!!

Lee said...

I've nominated you for a blog award. You can read the details here :-)

I've really enjoyed your blog and book over the last few months - please keep on writing!

Anonymous said...

I've just realised that you've moved over to Blogger, must have had my head in the clouds over the past few months. The house is looking great and that honey looks delish.

Happy New year!

Kate (remember me, I'm the one who liked Snape too!)

windyhill said...

What about native bees? Supposedly they don't sting. The honey looks great. At our house we eat about 3 kgs of honey a fortnight. It is good for your immune system apart from tasing great.